The House of Art is located south of the English Garden in the Prinzregentenstrasse. The foundation stone of the house of art was made in 1933 by Adolf Hitler. The design by architect Adolf Abel comprises a double symmetric museum building in the architectural style of the classicism. Under the name Deutsches Haus der Kunst, the two-storey exhibition building was a monumental building of the Third Reich.
Exterior House of Art Munich
After the Second World War the building was used by the American occupation forces as an officers' casino. But he location Prinzregentenstraße 1 was a tongue twister for Americans, so the casino was given the name "P-One". Under the same name Munich Nobel disco P1 and P1 Club bar are located here. During the eighties and nineties, the premises were used as an exhibition space for the National Gallery of Modern Art. In 2003 and 2004
A reconstruction of the museum building was made in order to restore its original state. To this day, the House of Art is not an art collection, rather it serves the purpose of a center for contemporary art.
Exhebition in the House of Art
Miss Munchen recommends
Close to the museum you can watch the famous munich Eisbach-Surfers.
Close the Museum of Art
Bayrisches Nationalmuseum - Bavarian National Museum Englischer Garten- English Garden Beer garden Chinesischer Turm Beer garden Seehaus Siegestor -- Victory Gate Overview map of English Garden in Munich
Haus der Kunst
Prinzregentenstraße 1, 80538 München
Bus: No. 100 Museenlinie / museums line to Königinstraße
Underground: S-Bahn to Isartor, further with Tram No. 18 direction Effnerplatz to Nationalmuseum / Haus der Kunst